Tinder scams are becoming a common issue on the popular online dating app, where you are searching for your potential date.
What Is Catfishing on Tinder?
On Tinder, you connect your Facebook account to the Tinder app on your Apple or Android device such as an iPhone or tablet. Once you have your account connected, you can use photos from your Facebook profile to show users on Tinder.
How The Catfishing Scam Works With Tinder
Spammers and scammers create fake Facebook profiles and start the process of finding matches. Once there is a match, the user then begins communicating with the user on Tinder. Then three things will usually happen.
What Do the Tinder Bots Do?
Spammers create automated bots for Tinder. These bots send you auto replies and either try and steal your information (known as phishing) or send you to an external site to try and get you to sign up for services.
Apart from automated bots, there are actual people behind the Tinder profiles. They most likely won’t use their real Facebook profile but, a fake one. Once they meet you, they’ll try and take the conversation away from Tinder and try and communicate through Skype or email.
From there, they typically act like they’re falling in love with you quickly and then ask you for money. Be aware whenever anyone that you’ve met online asks you for money. This should be a red flag.
(Semi) Harmless Catfish on Tinder
Other scenarios include someone who has created a fake profile. These typically look as less harmless catfish. They either have confidence issues or maybe they are trying to meet someone online without revealing their identity.
Signs That You’re Catfished on Tinder
- The profile looks like that of a celebrity or famous person.
- The person responds and asks you to click on a link or the responses don’t sound like an actual person is writing them.
- Catfishers ask you for money.
- Won’t meet you in person.
- They only have a few pictures on their Tinder profile and won’t send you any more.
How to Avoid Being Catfished on Tinder
- Make sure you’re aware of the signs listed above
- If something doesn’t seem right, usually trust your instincts.
- Catfish victims come to us because they think are catfished, usually are.
- Use our dating background check to run a reverse lookup that includes a catfish reverse image search and reverse username search.