In this digital age, there are more and more dating apps readily available for everyone to use, but for the gay community, these can be a nightmare. Navigating through the sea of faces and profiles in the various social media platforms and apps available for finding love can pose a set of unique challenges that you won’t encounter compared to mingling with IRL. Here, we list some of the top LGBT dating apps to try today and weigh the pros and cons of online dating.
Top LGBT Dating Apps to Try in 2021
While it functions just like other mainstream dating apps, Thurst allows you to see people’s profiles one at a time. You can then decide if you like what you see or not. When it comes to your orientation, they are open to many identities within their dating site. With Thurst, the world is your oyster, and this app allows you to get in touch with those who interest you.
Lex is a different playground — this app doesn’t allow you to post pictures. You can, however, connect to Instagram if you want to be showy. Long story short, Lex is like queer Twitter where you can track the latest news locally or in the whole world. You can also use this app for all sorts of relationships — whether you need something serious, something casual, or just to find friends.
The Her dating app also functions as a social media app, where it has a feed that’s similar to Facebook, so you can see what everyone else is up to. For instance, it uses an event page where you can check out upcoming queer events around your area, and there’s also a function that allows you to join communities to meet people of similar interests. Furthermore, you can swipe left or right while viewing your potential soulmates, but it also has other features that allow it to stand out from the competition.
While Scruff works similarly to Grindr, it serves you for more than just hookups. It also has a global feature, where you can look up men from distant, exotic places, making it easy to meet people in various cities throughout your travels. Scruff also shows you queer events nearby, where you can connect with others. Keep in mind though, that this app is geared towards men, so it’s not as inclusive as other choices here.
BiCupid doesn’t worry about how you identify — everyone is welcome here, regardless of your ethnicity, gender, or ability, as long as you’re pansexual or bisexual. This app provides a safe space for all who find themselves attracted to multiple genders, and you can even get space where you can share pretty much anything about yourself. This makes it easier for anyone to find a life partner who will share your beliefs and interests with you.
Pros and Cons of Online Dating of LGBT Dating Apps
- There are plenty of choices: While the term LGBTQ is used to refer to a community, there are various sub-categories, with each relating to an individual’s experience. Anyone single can register with straight, bisexual, gay, or trans-orientated apps and websites.
- It’s so easy to get together: Online dating is officially the best way to make friends and create relationships these days, mainly because things don’t have to be so awkward when you meet someone for the first time. It provides people with a safe, relaxing, and comfortable environment where they can be themselves without having to constantly think about what to say next.
- LGBTQ online dating provides vibrant communities: LGBTQ online dating offers so much more than just platforms where people can meet and interact with each other. These LGBT dating apps develop into bright and colorful communities where like-minded individuals come together and talk about various topics in forums and chat rooms.
- You never truly know a person’s intentions: Unlike dating in person, you can’t gauge a person’s motivations through their body language online since you’re not near one another. So when you connect with an LGBT dating app user, you won’t truly get to know that person through digital conversations. Furthermore, some people only use online dating outlets to find casual connections and fun. Worse still, some people hide behind fake profiles, so you need to take that extra step of caution when dealing with people online.
- You can become too comfortable online: Unfortunately, LGBTQ online dating can be a double-edged sword; on one end, the atmosphere is easy and relaxing, but on the other end, you can get so comfortable with where you are now that you never take the relationship to the next level. If things with your digital partner aren’t as great IRL as it is online, then chances are you’d much rather see them behind the screen rather than in front of a dining table.
How To Avoid Scams on LGBT Dating Apps
Here are a few quick and easy things that you can do to avoid getting scammed online while looking for “the one” out of millions of users.
- Never give out your personal details.
- Never send out or receive money.
- Stick with trusted dating apps and websites.
- Never give out any contact details.
- Always trust your instincts. If you think something’s wrong, chances are that it may be, so be sure to take caution.
- Be careful when using your webcam. Footage can be easily used against you, so think twice before posing.
- Report any scam to the FTC.
Social Catfish is Here to Help You On LGBT Dating Apps!
While online dating as a member of the LGBTQ community can seem scary at times, it’s not always like that. For the most part, it can be a freeing and liberating experience to get out there and meet people who share your interests and understand how unique you are. However, if you encounter a scammer when browsing LGBT dating apps, Social Catfish is here to help you! All you need to do is enter the person’s name, email address, phone number, social media username, or image to see who it is you’re really talking to.