Top 7 Best First Date Ideas
Good dates are a must for a relationship to progress. Though they’re partially dependent on chemistry, how much you have in common with your date, or how well you get along- a great date has the right blend of activity, entertainment, and time to talk and connect!
When planning a great date, first start with your budget. Is money no object or do you have a specific amount you can or want to spend in mind? A well-rounded date can become expensive,
1. Amusement Park: Disneyland may be the happiest place on earth, but if you aren’t near a Disney theme park? Find an amusement park in your area where you and your date can get in touch with your inner children and have some fun. If none exist, consider going to a zoo, miniature golf, or go-cart racing! If the date is going well, roller coasters give you a reason to get a little more touchy-feely and first date jitters will melt away in comparison. The reason an amusement park date is a good choice is because you have food, entertainment, and plenty of people watching all in one.
2. Brunch: Use Yelp, word of mouth, or an Internet Search Engine (like Google or Bing) to find one of the most delicious brunches in your town or theirs. Brunch is fancy while still giving the feel of a relaxed date as it takes place in the daytime, generally on a weekend, and it’s still socially acceptable to have a libation (think champagne mimosas!). If planning your date, pay attention to whether or not you’ll need a reservation and when the restaurant you choose offers brunch. Nothing would be worse than showing up to late or to a packed house!
3. Comedy Show: Maybe you and your date aren’t comedians, but seeing one perform will place both of you in a mood to laugh! Check out a local comedy club and book tickets for a touring comedian. This is a good way to see what you and your date have in common, with your senses of humor, and once you start laughing you might not stop. Likewise, if the comedian you end up seeing isn’t funny for either of you, you can spend some time after the show dishing on what you didn’t like, which can be oddly bonding!
4. Concert: This isn’t for everyone, but if you’re both music appreciators, tickets to a local band you have in common can be a great idea! If you want to see a larger headlining band perform, this can sometimes take advance ticket buying. If a show you love is coming up, buy two tickets and then find a date closer to the time!
5. Picnic: Packing a lunch for a picnic is thoughtful, but consider going all out and ordering delicious takeout from your favorite cafe. Don’t forget a fancy picnic basket with silverware, napkins, and something to drink. Most parks have tables, but bring a picnic blanket for an added touch of class. Having a classic picnic on a blanket, under the shade of a tree creates more ambiance and less of a barrier. There’s more chance for friendly chemistry and touch seated near one another.
6. Take A Class Or Make Some Time: Dinner paired with pottery painting (check Yelp for the many pottery places in existence), a cooking class, or learning a new skill can create a lasting memory. Although some have a pet-peeve about Groupon vouchers on a first date, search out Groupon for ideas of local activities.
7. Traditional: If you go the traditional route (i.e., meet for coffee, drinks, or dinner and/or a movie) try to add an extra touch. Are you someone who enjoys giving flowers? Bring a bouquet. Do you or your date like sweets, bring a small gift of gourmet chocolate. Instead of a dinner with wine, why not go wine tasting and do both in a more memorable way. Whether or not your date is simple doesn’t mean you can’t make it special. Going out in the daytime? If money allows, rent a convertible car for fun! If you want to keep your budget affordable (or, even if you don’t) focus on manners and how you treat your date. Good manners go a long way!
Think of your first date as a fun, special, lighthearted way to get to know someone and enjoy life. It is a start point which you may remember for years to come. Plan accordingly so that, if you are compatible, you are creating a lasting memory. This will let your natural chemistry and connection shine through, whatever date you choose. While planning plays a part in a date’s success, the right person will be someone with whom you feel at ease with, over time. It’s normal to be nervous before or during a first or second date, but the best match is someone you can truly enjoy the company of, no matter what you’re doing!
If you’ve met someone online, you might want to do a quick catfish test. Take the, “Am I Being Catfished Quiz“, on our site to make sure you’re not getting scammed.