Danuel Drayton: The Online Dating Murderer That Shook Connecticut
Do you wonder if online dating is safe? What if your dream guy or girl is actually a serial killer? While this will (luckily) not be the reality for most of us, a recent story about police arresting a ‘dating app serial killer’ has modern daters on the edge of their seats.
The Online Dating Murder Story
Danuel Drayton of New Haven, Connecticut, had only recently arrived in North Hollywood, California. To those he met, he was likable and attractive. One of the women he had dated in the past – a 26 year old mother – thought he was her best friend and “dream guy”, prior to his attack where he almost strangled her to death for not wanting a relationship after she suspected he was cheating.
Shortly after Drayton arrived in California, he was arrested for sexual assault and attempted murder. The victim? Yet another women he met on a dating app. According to reports, things took a turn for the worse when the victim took him back to her apartment. As if that wasn’t bad enough, Drayton was already wanted for rape and murder charges in New York. At the time of his arrest, he was caught holding a woman hostage.
Papers have quote Drayton as saying that his “body” committed the crimes, not his “mind”, and that he hadn’t “wanted” to do his actions. Ironically, he also admitted to investigators that he had murdered 6 other women. Police are still trying to determine if his claims are valid as they piece together his trail of harm and deceit.
Are you concerned about the people you meet online? Do you wonder if they are who they claim to be or if it is safe to go back to their place? Get as much information as you can before you risk your heart or even your life.
- Always meet in a public place.
- Park your car in a well lit, populated area and make sure no one follows you to your car.
- Know the full name of the person you’re dating before you spend time with them alone.
- Visit Social Catfish and enter in your date’s name, phone number, username, email address or other details. This will provide you with crucial information about their past or current life.
- After finding their social media accounts through Social Catfish, look over their social networks. Do their online friends seem to know them in real life?
- Do a reverse image search of their photograph on Berify to see if it links to any online images. This might show you that their photograph is stolen and you’re dealing with a catfish or scammer. It might even link to police photographs which show you your date is wanted for a crime.
Listening to your intuition is imperative, but criminals like Drayton manage to trick many women into thinking they are safe and trustworthy. Until you get to know someone better and know their history, as well as where they work and live, be cautious and make no exceptions. Always do a comprehensive online search and follow basic safety rules when meeting.
No sales pitches, no games, and one-click unsubscribe.