Instagram may be one of your favorite social media apps as it allows you to showcase your creativity through pictures and videos. You also get to find like-minded individuals and appreciate their work. While you think Instagram is less toxic and more private than other social media platforms, someone might just be snooping on your account and invade your privacy.
Below, we will tackle why someone would want to snoop through your Instagram, how to tell if someone is snooping on your Instagram, and how to protect your Instagram. Keep reading to enjoy Instagram’s features while keeping it as private as possible!
Why Someone Would Want To Snoop Through Your Instagram
Social media accounts like Instagram are supposed to be private. However, you can’t always expect people to follow basic etiquette, especially if they have various agendas in mind. For instance, an ex-lover would want to snoop through your Instagram to find out whether you have a new partner. Or, your current partner would like to confirm if you’ve remained faithful to them or if you’ve started flirting with a colleague or friend.
Others might also want to collect evidence that will ruin your name — whether they’re a jealous coworker or someone who held grudges against you. Strangers would also like to snoop through your Instagram account to steal your personal information and make money out of it.
How To Tell if Someone Has Been Snooping on Your Instagram
Creating a social media account like Instagram includes the possibility of dealing with snoopers. That is why you must learn how to tell if someone is snooping on your Instagram. We’ve prepared the following tips for you:
Check Your Login Activity
One way to find out whether someone logged into your account while you’re away or busy at work is by checking your login activity. Simply follow these steps:
- Open the Instagram app on your phone. Then, enter your login information if you’re not automatically logged in.
- Tap on the profile icon located at the bottom of the screen. You’ll see your main profile page.
- Tap on the three horizontal bars found in the upper right corner of the screen. A menu will pop up.
- Choose Settings, which is the first option from the menu.
- Select the Security option and then Login Activity.
In the Login Activity section, you will see the list of locations where your account is logged in. It also provides the date and device used. If you see a device you don’t recognize, someone might have snooped through your Instagram account. To log out of the device, simply tap on the three lines beside the entry and then on Log Out.
Check Your DMs
How to tell if someone is snooping on your Instagram also includes checking your direct messages (DMs). Your friend, partner, or even a stranger might have read messages that you haven’t even read yet. So, review the conversations. If there are messages you don’t recall sending or receiving, someone may be using your account without your knowledge.
Review Your Followers and Following List
Another way to determine if someone is using your Instagram account without your consent is through your followers and following list. You may not remember exactly how many followers you have or how many you have followed. However, if you notice followers that you don’t remember approving of or people you’re now following that you don’t recall following, someone must have been messing with your account.
Check Emails From Instagram
Instagram usually sends you an email if you requested some changes in your account. If you don’t remember applying any of these changes, then someone must have done it using your name. However, be careful with links embedded in emails, as these may be a form of phishing intended to collect your personal information.
How To Protect Your Instagram
Using Instagram can be fun if you know how to protect it with these steps:
- Change your password, and make sure it’s strong and unique. This action will log out all active sessions. Thus, someone else who might be snooping on your account will be logged out.
- Maximize the two-factor authentication feature. This is recommended not only for your Instagram account but also for your other social media accounts. With two-factor authentication, a verification code is needed to log in to your account, so you have an additional layer of protection.
- Do not click on suspicious links because these will take you to a page that will gather your login credentials and other personal information. The site will also copy that of Instagram. So, instead of visiting it immediately, type the URL manually.
- Keep your phone number and email updated. If there are strange activities in your Instagram account, you will be notified, and you can make the necessary changes immediately.
Protect Your Instagram Account With Social Catfish
While Instagram is a fun place to view and upload interesting photos and videos and connect with people, you might not be the only one using your account. Learn how to tell if someone is snooping on your Instagram with the tips we’ve presented. Visit Social Catfish to find more ways to protect your social media accounts!