Snapchat gives you an easy and enjoyable way of sharing your daily activities with family and friends. There’s also that added thrill as photos and videos are meant to disappear after a certain period. Despite Snapchat’s unique features, you might want to keep it private for your peace of mind. Check out our blog below to see the various benefits of keeping your Snapchat account private and how to make your Snapchat account private.
Benefits of Keeping Your Snapchat Account Private
Having a Snapchat account might be fun and exciting as you get to share your special moments with friends and even with random people. However, keeping your account private includes several benefits. For instance, you can protect your photos and videos from being seen and used by strangers to their advantage. With the technological advances brought by the internet and social media, you might have to deal with various privacy concerns. Others might gather these images and videos to either damage your reputation or steal your identity.
Also, maintaining a private Snapchat account gives you the freedom to share certain posts without worrying about other people’s views and criticisms. It’s your own Snapchat account, so it’s only fitting that you have total control over what you share and what you want to hide from a specific audience.
How To Make Your Snapchat Account Private
To ensure your safety and security, learn how to make your Snapchat account private with these steps:
Limit the People Who Can See Your Stories
When posting Snapchat stories, you might want to make sure only your friends can see your activities. Fortunately, the app allows you to control the people who can see your stories with these changes:
- Open your Snapchat app.
- Go to Settings.
- In the Who Can section, choose the View My Story option.
- Choose from Everyone, My Friends, and Custom options. If you want to create your custom list, pick Custom.
Disable the Quick Add Feature
With Snapchat’s Quick Add feature, users can easily add you based on your mutual friends. If you don’t want others to discover your account instantly, you can just disable this feature through the following:
- Launch the Snapchat app
- Tap on Settings marked by the gear icon.
- Choose to See Me in Quick Add.
- To turn off the Quick Add feature, tap the button to the left. Once done, your friends’ friends won’t be able to see your Snapchat account.
Manage Who Can Contact You
While Snapchat allows users to send images and videos to different people across the globe, you might not want random people to contact you via Snapchat. So, make sure only your friends can contact you through these steps:
- Open the Settings section by tapping the gear icon in your profile.
- In the Who Can section, choose Contact Me.
- Tap the My Friends option so that only those you’ve added to your Snapchat account have the ability to connect with you.
Remove Random People Adding You on Snapchat
Like any other social media platform, your Snapchat account may receive friend requests from people you don’t really know. If you want to block these kinds of users, carry out the following:
- Tap your Snapchat’s profile picture and then Add Friends. You will then see the Added Me section.
- To view all people who added you, choose Show More.
- Open users’ profile pictures.
- Tap the three dots you see on the upper right of the screen.
- Choose Block from the options. You can also report or ignore their friend requests.
Set up Two-Factor Authentication
How to make your Snapchat account private also includes using two-factor authentication. Simply complete these actions:
- Proceed to your Profile and then Settings.
- Tap the SMS Verification button to enable the feature.
- Tap the button next to Authentication App if you prefer third-party apps over SMS.
This function makes it harder for hackers to access your account, given that they need not only the password but also the confirmation code to do so.
Hide Your Location
Snapchat Map allows people to view your location. If you don’t want them to know where you are as you use the app, turn the Ghost Mode on by executing the following:
- Tap the gear icon on your profile screen to go to Settings.
- Tap the See My Location option from the menu.
- Tap the button beside Ghost Mode. Once done, users can no longer view your location.
Enjoy a Private Snapchat Account With Social Catfish
With Snapchat, you’re free to share photos and videos while maximizing fun and engaging filters. However, given that someone might misuse these posts, remember how to make your Snapchat account private. If someone suspicious is trying to reach you through Snapchat, maximize our reverse search platform!