With Google Hangouts, you’re free to chat or make video calls with friends and coworkers. However, you might also encounter spammers who keep bugging you at work and interrupt your quiet time in the house. Fortunately, the messaging app allows you to block people. To know the signs you’re talking to a scammer, how to block someone on Google Hangouts, how to report them, and what you should do if you’ve been scammed, check out our article below!
How To Tell That You’re Talking to a Scammer
You may think you’ve met a new friend or even a potential online love interest, but even Google Hangouts is not free from scammers. That is why you should be able to tell if you’re talking to a scammer. Here are the following signs:
- They ask you to continue your conversations through Google Hangouts. You may have met someone on a social media platform or a dating app. However, scammers will prefer to use another messaging app to avoid getting banned and other penalties.
- They will start asking you for money. Once they think that you genuinely care for them, they will make thousands of excuses just to make you fall for their trick. For instance, they will say they need money for hospital bills, a family member’s funeral, their niece’s birthday, or their business.
- They will request specific payment options, like wire transfers and gift cards, as the chances of getting your money back are slim.
- They refuse to make video calls with you. As scammers often use fake identities, they would express their willingness for video calls. However, they always cancel at the last minute because of some “emergencies.”
- Whether they’re asking for money or giving you an unrealistic offer, they become intrusive and forceful if you decline their request. They will even send you threats that are most likely fake.
How To Block Someone on Google Hangouts
While using Google Hangouts can be fun and therapeutic as you get to catch up with friends and colleagues, there are just people who annoy you to death and make your day unproductive. Furthermore, if you think someone’s trying to scam you out of money, you have the option to stop them. How to block someone on Google Hangouts? Follow these steps:
If you’re using your computer to block a spammer or scammer, do the following:
- Go to Google Hangouts using any internet browser. Then, enter your login information.
- Once logged in, go to the Conversations tab. From the list, choose the specific person you wish to block.
- Click on Settings for that particular contact.
- Click the Block & Report option from the menu.
- If you only want to block them, untick the Also Report box.
- Select Confirm. Then, close the conversation.
Once you block the person, they can no longer contact you, and they won’t know that you’ve blocked them — unless they make an effort to look for your name and find out if you’re online or not. However, they might still be able to reach you through other platforms.
How to block someone on Google Hangouts is the same whether you’re using an Android device or an iPhone. Simply perform the following:
- Open the Google Hangouts app on your mobile device.
- Go to any conversation. Then, choose the More option found on the screen’s upper right corner.
- Pick People from the drop-down menu.
- Choose the person you want to block. Then, tap Block.
- To confirm your action, tap Block again.
How To Report Someone on Google Hangouts
If an acquaintance is too annoying or clingy, you can just block them to have peace of mind. However, if you just talked to a scammer, reporting them on Google Hangouts is necessary. Here’s how you can report them:
- Go to Google Hangouts.
- Select Conversations.
- Then, choose the person or contact you wish to block.
- Click Settings, which you can see at the top of your conversation with the person.
- Click Block & Report.
- Check the Also Report option to report the user.
- Click Confirm to complete the action.
What To Do if You’ve Been Scammed
While you remain vigilant when talking to people, you can still be a victim of these tricksters. If that happens, make sure to:
- Contact your bank if you happen to pay using your debit or credit card. They can reverse the payment for you.
- Report the abuse to the Federal Trade Commission. This way, others will be warned regarding the tactics used by scammers, and the agency can use such trends to catch them.
- Replace your password with strong and unique ones. Make sure to update it frequently to avoid any hacking incident or identity theft.
Google Hangouts Scam: Stay Cautious With Social Catfish
While Google Hangouts makes virtual meetings fun and engaging, you should know how to identify scammers whose only goal is to gain money from you. When their stories seem inconsistent, and you think they’re not who they claim to be, go to Social Catfish for an effective reverse search!