We rely on the FTC to protect us from harm’s way if a scammer tries to contact us. However, there’s a new scam website that has been created to look exactly like the FTC’s website! Therefore, when you think you’re reporting a scam to the FTC, you could actually be reporting it to a scammer. This could mean that a scammer has access to your personal information, without even realizing it! If this is terrifying to think about, then this is a good opportunity to learn more about this FTC scam and how to avoid it.
FTC Scam Website is Called the US Trading Commission
The scammer created a phishing website called the US Trading Commission and stole the FTC’s logo to make their website look legit. The website is advertised to help those who have had their identities stolen by running on a “personal data protection fund.”
The scammer tricks people into thinking they can receive their stolen funds right away. All you supposedly need to do is click on a few links, then fill out your personal and financial information. However, once you do this you’re actually giving scammers access to your bank account and personal information. They can then steal all of your money and commit identity theft with the information you gave them.
Are you still not sure whether or not you’re on the actual FTC website? If you click on a link to fill out your information, and the website directs you to YouTube, this is a major sign that you are on the wrong website. Also, the FTC will never promise to give you your money back right away. This has become a scam that has spread worldwide to Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan, and Latvia where people have lost their money and have had their identities stolen.
How to Avoid This FTC Scam
- Don’t believe when the website says you will receive your money instantly. While the FTC does return stolen funds to their users, there is usually a process involved where the FTC has to find where your money has gone and retrieve it.
- Don’t give the fake FTC website your service if it asks you for a payment for their services. The FTC will never ask for money when helping their users.
- Don’t provide the website with your credit card information, SSN, or bank account information for any reason. The FTC will never ask for information this personal from their users.
- If the FTC wants to give money back to their users, they will usually mail them a paper check to their listed address.
- Report any FTC scam websites to the FTC! The legit website is linked here.
Social Catfish is Here to Help You!
At Social Catfish, we want to help you verify the identities of those who might seem suspicious to you. If you have their name, email address, phone number, social media username, or image, you can reverse search and see who the suspected person was that you’ve been in contact with if you think you’ve been a victim of this FTC scam.
No sales pitches, no games, and one-click unsubscribe.