When playing online video games, many people look for ways to talk to friends while they playing their games at the same time. Some use Xbox/PlayStation headsets, some call one another on their phones, and others use apps and social media platforms to communicate with one another. There’s one app in particular that many gamers use to communicate back and forth, and that is Discord.
Discord is an app that was originally created for gamers to instant message or voice chat with their gamer friends. Since its launch, it has also attracted non-gamer groups to come together and chat amongst one another including writers, K-Pop fans, and fan groups of artists. With a popular app like this, however, there are bound to be people with bad intentions creating Discord scams.
What Are Discord Scams and How to Avoid Them
- Bots try and get you to click on a link. Some users have reported receiving a link from a bot-like user, offering them free products. However, when they click on the link it usually gives them malware on their Discord servers. Another link people have been reporting takes them to a Discord login look-alike page so that scammers can get onto your Discord account.
- Tip: Don’t click on any links or open any messages if you don’t know who it’s from or if it seems suspicious. Report it right away.
- Catfish pretend to be someone they aren’t and have bad intentions. Whether it’s to talk to a minor or steal people’s money, there are people catfishing victims for a variety of reasons on Discord. They then get their victims to fall in love with them so that they can get what they want.
- Tip: If someone you don’t know is trying to rush into a romantic relationship with you, be wary of their intentions and set up a video chat date to verify that they are a real person. They could be an online predator or romance scammer trying to either take advantage of your inappropriate pictures or money.
- Girls and other people will try and sell inappropriate images to you. There have been reports of people (or the girls themselves) messaging other random people trying to sell inappropriate images of girls. They will ask for money, but then only give you a small amount of what they promised before bugging you to send them more money. Sometimes, the girls don’t even know that their pictures are being sold.
- Tip: Don’t buy anything from strangers off of the internet. You can’t trust that they will give you everything they promised in exchange for your money. Also, don’t send anyone you don’t know your pictures because you never know where they will end up.
Is Discord Safe to Use?
Discord is sometimes safe to use. People can connect in private servers with people they know and talk about gaming or different things that they’re interested in. However, there are also people who use Discord to talk to people they don’t know, which can be a potential hazard for catfishing, scamming, or getting your account hacked.
It all depends on who you talk to on the app, if you’re only talking to people you know and keeping your servers private, then you are safe from those potential hazards that lie within the app. However, if you’re talking to people you don’t know they could have bad intentions. To stay safe when talking to people you don’t know, don’t give them any personal information and don’t click on any suspicious links that they give you.
If you feel that you’ve been scammed or catfished by someone on Discord, Social Catfish is here to help! You can reverse search any username, name, phone number, email, or picture on our website to find out if who you are talking to is who they say they are. If we find information that matches the information you’ve been given from the person, chances are you are talking to someone who is telling the truth about who they are. However, if the information we find doesn’t match up or we can’t find any information on the person you gave us, chances are they have been lying to you and that you’re a part of Discord scams.