Kik Scams: Catfished on Kik Messenger
Learn all about Kik scams, the signs that you’ve been catfished on this popular messenger app, and tips on how to prevent this.
What is Catfishing on KIK?
Kik Messenger is an instant messaging app for mobile devices. Users need a wifi connection to send messages, pictures, web pages, and other content.
Anyone can download the Kik app in the Apple app store and the Google Play store and merely have to create an account. Once connected, you can interact with any user once you have their username and you have added them to your account.
How Do Kik Scams Work?
There are two ways that catfishers scam people on Kik. The first is the use of automated bots. The person typically initiates a conversation with a simple greeting, and then the bots take over. The bots respond to your messages by trying to get you to visit websites, and these websites can request many things from you. Some sites ask personal info while others require you to subscribe and pay money.
The second is real people who talk to you but reveal very little about themselves. They often ask you to do things for them, usually sending them money, but they also will try to get you to visit websites, similar to the bots, the only thing is that the bots are becoming more popular due to their ability to reach more people at the same time.
Signs You’re Catfished on Kik Messenger
- The user sends you links to websites without warning.
- The user’s responses seem very plain as if it’s not a person (bots!).
- They try to get money from you.
- Despite your attempts to get to know them better, they never open up to you about their identity.
How to Avoid Being Catfished When Using Kik
- Know the signs! Always be informed of what internet hackers are using for tricks and stay one step ahead of them.
- Trust your gut. If it seems sketchy, it probably is!
- Only converse with people you know. This dramatically reduces the risk of adding someone that could be a hacker.
- Match their username to other social profiles to make sure it’s them.
With the Social Catfish reverse lookup, you can often find a person’s location and verify their identity with only a few pieces of information. Check out our services now to get peace of mind.
No sales pitches, no games, and one-click unsubscribe.