On Monday, April 26th, Apple released a new software update called iOS 14.5 that includes many features. These features include the App tracking transparency feature, unlocking your iPhone or iPad using Apple’s Face ID while wearing your coronavirus mask, setting a default music player of your choice, new emoji, Siri updates, and more. The two most important features that will affect your device’s security are the App Tracking Transparency and unlocking your device using Apple’s Face ID.
What is Apple’s New App Tracking Transparency Feature Included in iOS 14.5?
App tracking transparency will require apps to ask users for permission before they can track their data and activity throughout their Apple device. Many social media networks and websites, such as Facebook or Google, track users’ activity to see what their interests are. Based on these users’ interests, these apps are usually able to create ads around what people are interested in instead of displaying random advertisements.
However, with Apple’s new app tracking transparency, these users now have the option to decide whether or not they want these apps to track their activity. If they would like to see more personalized advertisements, they can give apps permission to tack their data and activity throughout their Apple device. However, if they don’t feel comfortable with their data and activity being shared with certain apps or any app, they now have the option to say no.
How to Unlock Your Apple Device While Wearing a Face Mask Using Face ID
The coronavirus has made it difficult for people to unlock their Apple devices while wearing a face mask. Therefore, Apple has made it easier for its users to unlock their devices while wearing a mask. In order to use this new feature, users must have an Apple Watch that is also updated. That way, the Apple device knows for a fact that the user is the one behind the face mask instead of someone else.
Once the user has an updated Apple Watch, the user can unlock their phone with their face like they are used to, and it will unlock even if the user is wearing a mask. This also applies if they try to log into their apps while wearing a face mask.
Other Fun Features That iOS 14.5 Has
- Set a default music player of your choice. You can choose between Apple Music, Spotify, YouTube Music, or other music apps to be your default music player. Therefore, when you ask Siri to play a certain song, it will choose from your default music player versus just Apple Music.
- There are more than 200 new emojis to choose from. Apple has created 217 new emojis, such as different skin variations of people kissing, a heart on fire, faces exhaling, faces in the clouds, faces with spiral eyes, and more. There were also changes to pre-existing emojis, such as the syringe emoji where Apple removed the blood to make it look more like a vaccine emoji With these new fun emojis, you will be able to have more options to choose from when conversing with friends.
- There are more voices for Siri to choose from. Siri will no longer default to a female voice. Instead, you will be able to choose the voice that you want Siri to have.
- Siri can make emergency calls for you. All you need to do is say, “Hey Siri, call emergency.” Then, Siri will count down from three, allowing you three seconds to cancel your request.
- Stream Fitness Plus workouts with AirPlay. If you have an Apple Fitness Plus subscription, you can stream your workouts to AirPlay 2 compatible TVs and devices.
- The introduction of Dual-SIM 5G global support. You can use your phone’s physical SIM slot and digital eSIM slot to have two lines of service on the same phone. This support was only available in China and has now come to the United States.
- Apple devices now support controllers from certain gaming consoles. With this new update, Apple added support for PS5 and Xbox Series X controllers for easier gameplay on your iPhone or iPad.
- Design changes to the Podcasts, News, and Reminders Apps. Find new and innovative designs on some of your favorite Apple apps.
Social Catfish is Here to Help You!
At Social Catfish, we want to help you verify the identities of those who might seem suspicious to you. If you have their name, email address, phone number, social media username, or image, you can reverse search and see who the suspected person was that you’ve been in contact with after reading about the iOS 14.5 update. If you were involved in a scam, make sure to report it to the FTC as well.