37 Online Dating Tips to Help You Get, And Keep a Date
If you’ve been dating and meeting people online for a while without a lot of success, turning in the laptop for another strategy has probably crossed your mind. You may be thinking that it may be you or that your options are very slim.
But, we guarantee that you’re doing it wrong. With a very small tweaks, we guarantee that you’ll be on your way down the isle in no time.
1. The biggest part of online dating is one’s profile. This is where you attract your potential suitors, it’s what everyone sees. This contains your picture, a biography of yourself, and in some cases, a username.
2. Make it a recent picture. No later than a few months ago. You want the image to capture what you currently look like, not what you looked like back in your younger high school days. In case you didn’t know, those days are over.
3. Make sure the picture shows your head and at least your torso. You don’t want to mislead anyone by trying to hide something like weight or your height. It will save you both time in finding the person that you’re looking for.
4. Avoid pictures that involve to many people. It will be difficult for someone to figure out who you are. And that would be a big downer if someone thought you were the better looking individual and realized you weren’t the one they wanted.
5. Guys, don’t include pictures of you with lots of women, and vice versa for women. It sends a negative message to potential prospects. And it doesn’t actually make you look cool.
6. Update your picture often. Not on a weekly basis, but if you go on a trip, pick a nice photo of you from the trip. Or use a picture of you participating in a hobby that you enjoy. If people notice your picture changing, it shows them that you aren’t some bum that lays around, you get out and do stuff. And there great conversation pieces.
7. Don’t be crazy. A clever name is a good way to attract attention, but make sure it makes sense. You don’t want it to confuse anyone. Also, no dirty names. That sends a very negative impression.
8. If the name you want is taken, don’t force one. Mixing up letters and numbers will just look really weird to someone and probably turn them away from you.
9. Break it down into sections. Have one section about who you are and what you’re all about. Your job, your hobbies, what you’re all about. The meat of your personality. Next, talk about your personal quirks and pet peeves, the things that make you unique, something that makes you stand out from everyone else. Lastly, talk about what your life is like now. How busy you are with work, what nights you have your golf league at the country club. Talk about things you’ve recently done; movies you’ve watched, books you’ve read, your last vacation spot. Let people know who you are.
10.Don’t write a book. Nobody is going to read something longer than Harry Potter to find out that you both like the same tv show.
11. Be unique. Talk about your collection of baseball cards or your collection of candles from Yankee Candle. Talk about the time you followed the Grateful Dead across country or when you went to China to see the Olympics. Show people you have a life and that you are passionate about things.
12. Make sure you spell check. Errors make you look careless and that is the last thing you want(especially guys, you already have a bad rep).
Online dating tips for women
13. Make sure you know the man’s full name, his phone number(multiple if applicable), and his address. The internet is a very good place for predators to search for their prey. Always make sure you know all there is to know about an individual.
14. Run the guys name through the internet and see what comes up. It’s not weird to do a background check on someone to make sure their legitimate. Your number one concern should be your safety. When working with our clients, we’ve uncovered everything from a traditional catfish, scammers (mainly 419 scams) and even people who are threatening other peoples’ lives or bribing people. Don’t wait until it’s too late and the damage has already been done.
15. Make sure you have your phone on you and that someone you are close with knows where you’re going, who you’re going with, and what you should be doing. You can never be too safe.
16. Guys typically like to move at a much slower pace than women. You really don’t want freak him out after 2 dates by talking about anything long term. Take it easy and just have fun.
Online dating tips for men
17. Make yourself available for women to meet. The football game can be missed, or recorded and viewed at a later date.
18. You actually do have to do some work on the internet. You have to make the effort to talk to women and pick and choose who you are interested in.
Make sure she knows you are genuinely interested in her.
19. Listen to what she says and be involved in the relationship.
20. Be romantic when you go on dates. Girls like it when you buy them flowers or hold the door for them. Plus it makes you look really good when people witness it.
21. Be confident. Women really find it attractive when a guy believes in himself and the things that he does. Just don’t cross the line of cockiness. That will instantly turn a women away.
General Dating Tips
22. Don’t talk about things like your ex’s at all. It will send a very bad message to the other person and you most likely won’t be receiving a call the following day.
Be yourself. Present yourself to the other person just like you would present yourself to the world on any other day. If a suit is not your thing, then don’t wear one. Present the purest form of you to the other individual.
23. Don’t rush anything. Date 1 may be wonderful, but that doesn’t mean you should be preparing for a wedding. You never get to completely know someone in one date. You might find that he or she aren’t the person you thought they were after a month.
First Date Tips
24. Avoid doing things like going to the movies or going to a concert. These things don’t allow you the time to converse and get to know each other, which is what the first date is all about.
25. Make sure that you plan everything and that you don’t leave anything out(guys pay attention). Make sure all the details are planned out, where you’re going, how you’re going to get there, whether or not your date has any allergies or dietary concerns. Seeming unprepared will NOT look good to your date. At all.
26. What to wear! You should feel confident in what you wear. And that means being comfortable in your outfit. But that doesn’t mean wearing you’re baggy jeans and mustard stained Lynyrd Skynyrd t-shirt. Base your outfit on where you’re going. If you’re going somewhere decent, guys wear a polo shirt with some khaki’s and girls wear a casual dress. Don’t put too much into your outfit. But certainly don’t overlook it.
27. DON’T BE ON YOUR PHONE! If you’re on your phone the whole time or constantly checking your phone for messages it shows your date that you are more interested in other things when you should be completely focused on them. And it’s pretty insulting to them. Remember, the date is all about the two of you.
28. Listen!(guys pay attention again) When you ask your date a great question that will show you a lot of insight into who they are be sure that you pay attention.
29. Use good body language. Lean in a little (but, don’t get too close) when your date is speaking, make direct eye contact, and always smile. A good smile will always ease the mood.
30. Be honest. Don’t lie to your date about something you like or dislike. Honestly if they hang around you more, they’ll probably learn about it anyway. But you really don’t want to surprise with anything.
31. If you have kids, let them know. Don’t bury them by talking about them all night, but get it out on the table. You want to be as personal as you can, so don’t hide anything about yourself.
What to eat on a first date
32. Avoid eating things that might stick to your teeth, spinach, seaweed, mint are just a few things. Corn on the cob is notoriously messy and should be avoided as well as seeds, which have the tendency to get caught between your teeth.
33. Be careful with seafood because they typically squirt juices everywhere. It’s okay to eat as long as you’re careful.
34. No Barbeque. Period. Also, say no to beans, cheese, and other food items that either make you stink, or just stink themselves.
35. Try to go to a restaurant with plenty of options. It’s usually not a good idea to try a new spot on a first date unless you’ve looked into it an know it’s going to be a hit.
36. Sandwiches, pastas, and select meats are good choices as long as they aren’t covered with sauces and juices which creates a higher mess potential. You don’t want your date to see you’re a slob right off the bat.
37. Don’t talk with food in your mouth.